Who we are
The Mountain Club of South Africa (MCSA) was founded in 1891 in Cape Town, and is the only mountain club in Africa that is affiliated to the world mountaineering body, the UIAA. The MCSA offers mountaineering which includes climbing of all types and hiking opportunities to its members and is involved in mountain search and rescue, training, conservation of mountain areas and procurement of access for mountaineering.
The Club consists of 14 Sections, geographically distributed. Contact the section nearest to you to join in activities. Membership in the MCSA also happens on Section level, so if you want to become a member please find the section nearest to you. If there is none, maybe consider starting one?
If in trouble in the mountains contact the nearest emergency number as listed here:
NATIONAL NEWSLETTER – JAUARY 2020 2019 JOURNALS UIAA FACEBOOK AND WEB PAGES ANY NEWSWORTHY ITEMS ___________________________________________________________________________ This is the last call for contributions for the 2019 Journal. Please see the JOURNAL GUIDELINES on the national [...]
International mountaineering news fresh from the UIAA website.
- INFORMATION ON CLIMBING EQUIPMENT RECALLS
- Outdoor Research Ice Climbing Challenge
- ICE CLIMBING: SWITZERLAND THE SCENE FOR THE WORLD CUP DECIDER
- BMC GUIDE TO BOLTING
- THE UIAA ON THE DEVASTATING AUSTRALIAN BUSHFIRES
- EXPERIENCE TO THE FORE IN CHEONGSONG
- CONTRACEPTION AND PERIOD CONTROL AT ALTITUDE
- A POPULAR VENUE, A SEMINAL WEEKEND
- HONOURED ON TWO CONTINENTS: LLOYD GALLAGHER
- Statement on Proposed Changes in Nepali Mountaineering Regulations