Who we are
The Mountain Club of South Africa (MCSA) was founded in 1891 in Cape Town, and is the only mountain club in Africa that is affiliated to the world mountaineering body, the UIAA. The MCSA offers mountaineering which includes climbing of all types and hiking opportunities to its members and is involved in mountain search and rescue, training, conservation of mountain areas and procurement of access for mountaineering.
The Club consists of 14 Sections, geographically distributed. Contact the section nearest to you to join in activities. Membership in the MCSA also happens on Section level, so if you want to become a member please find the section nearest to you. If there is none, maybe consider starting one?
If in trouble in the mountains contact the nearest emergency number as listed here:
International mountaineering news fresh from the UIAA website.
- UPDATES TO 2019-2020 UIAA ICE CLIMBING WORLD TOUR CALENDAR
- RECIPROCITY AGREEMENTS: TAKE ADVANTAGE OF MOUNTAIN HUT OFFERS
- FIRST COMMUNITY WINNER REVEALED
- MEMBER PROFILE: CHINA HONG KONG MOUNTAINEERING & CLIMBING UNION
- Peter Farkas receives Olympic medal
- 2020 INTERNATIONAL YOUTH ICE CLIMBING CAMP IN GUILLESTRE, HAUTES ALPES
- RACE ON TO DECIDE COMMUNITY WINNER
- UPDATED UIAA MEMBERS DIRECTORY
- UIAA GENERAL ASSEMBLY INFORMATION: WELCOME TO CYPRUS
- Yuriy Skurlatov, 1941 – 2019