Who we are
The Mountain Club of South Africa (MCSA) was founded in 1891 in Cape Town, and is the only mountain club in Africa that is affiliated to the world mountaineering body, the UIAA. The MCSA offers mountaineering which includes climbing of all types and hiking opportunities to its members and is involved in mountain search and rescue, training, conservation of mountain areas and procurement of access for mountaineering.
The Club consists of 14 Sections, geographically distributed. Contact the section nearest to you to join in activities. Membership in the MCSA also happens on Section level, so if you want to become a member please find the section nearest to you. If there is none, maybe consider starting one?
If in trouble in the mountains contact the nearest emergency number as listed here:
NATIONAL NEWSLETTER – JAUARY 2020 2019 JOURNALS UIAA FACEBOOK AND WEB PAGES ANY NEWSWORTHY ITEMS ___________________________________________________________________________ This is the last call for contributions for the 2019 Journal. Please see the JOURNAL GUIDELINES on the national [...]
International mountaineering news fresh from the UIAA website.
- FFCAM ENJOYS PRESIDENTIAL MEETING
- UIAA AND UNEP SIGN MOU
- UIAA RESTATED PRIORITIES FOR 2020 AND BEYOND
- ALPINISM AS AN INTANGIBLE CULTURAL HERITAGE OF HUMANITY: RESOURCES FOR UIAA MEMBERS
- INFORMATION REGARDING 2020 ELECTION OF NEW UIAA PRESIDENT
- FRESH IMPETUS FOR THE UIAA RESPECT THE MOUNTAINS MOVEMENT
- TRAINING AND MEDICAL SUPPORT FOR ROCK CLIMBERS
- SOFIE LENAERTS – ON TOP OF EACH CONTINENT
- SEASONAL VERDICTS CONFIRMED IN SAAS-FEE
- INFORMATION ON CLIMBING EQUIPMENT RECALLS