Who we are
The Mountain Club of South Africa (MCSA) was founded in 1891 in Cape Town, and is the only mountain club in Africa that is affiliated to the world mountaineering body, the UIAA. The MCSA offers mountaineering which includes climbing of all types and hiking opportunities to its members and is involved in mountain search and rescue, training, conservation of mountain areas and procurement of access for mountaineering.
The Club consists of 14 Sections, geographically distributed. Contact the section nearest to you to join in activities. Membership in the MCSA also happens on Section level, so if you want to become a member please find the section nearest to you. If there is none, maybe consider starting one?
If in trouble in the mountains contact the nearest emergency number as listed here:
International mountaineering news fresh from the UIAA website.
- STATEMENT: UIAA AND CLIMATE CHANGE
- UIAA PUBLISHES 2018 CARBON FOOTPRINT CALCULATION
- FIFTY YEARS OF THE UIAA MOUNTAIN PROTECTION COMMISSION
- UIAA PROJECTS HELD UP AS SUSTAINABILITY MODELS
- ALL ABOUT THE MOUNT LOGAN ICE EXPEDITION 2020-21
- LATEST UPDATES TO 2019-2020 UIAA ICE CLIMBING WORLD TOUR CALENDAR
- A GRAND RETURN FOR PONT-ROUGE’S FESTIGLACE
- REVIEW: 2019 UIAA MEDICAL COMMISSION MEETING
- A GUIDE TO THE 2019-2020 UIAA ICE CLIMBING CONTINENTAL CUPS
- IMF OFFERS DISCOUNTS ON CLIMBING PERMITS FOR INDIAN HIMALAYA