Who we are
The Mountain Club of South Africa (MCSA) was founded in 1891 in Cape Town, and is the only mountain club in Africa that is affiliated to the world mountaineering body, the UIAA. The MCSA offers mountaineering which includes climbing of all types and hiking opportunities to its members and is involved in mountain search and rescue, training, conservation of mountain areas and procurement of access for mountaineering.
The Club consists of 14 Sections, geographically distributed. Contact the section nearest to you to join in activities. Membership in the MCSA also happens on Section level, so if you want to become a member please find the section nearest to you. If there is none, maybe consider starting one?
If in trouble in the mountains contact the nearest emergency number as listed here:
International mountaineering news fresh from the UIAA website.
- FQME: 50 years of discovery and excellence
- EVEREST AND KILIMANJARO ISSUES TO BE TACKLED BY UIAA WORKING GROUP
- Advisory: Video, Climb Safe: How to belay with the ATC
- Sunday Afternoons Partners with UIAA’s Respect the Mountains Project
- THE FIRST GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE UIAA
- Loving the mountains since 1869 German Alpine Club (DAV) celebrates its 150th birthday
- Mujer Montaña Construyendo Vidas 2019 – Bolivia by Mujer Montaña
- Mountain Sports Center with the approach of Environmental Sustainability by Passive Solar Energy by Alpine Club of Iran
- Ama-Dablam 2020 by High Altitude Mountain Cleaners
- Converting organic waste to compressed biogas and organic fertilizer by Gandaki Urja